secret key for encryption

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: secret key for encryption
Date: 2010-07-16 16:56:41
Lists: pgsql-admin
This isn't exactly a Postgres question, but I hope someone in the community has solved it.

I want to encrypt some data in Postgres that arrives from Apache.  How do you store an encryption key in such a way that Apache CGIs can get it, but a hacker or rogue employee who manages to access the machine can't find out the encryption key?