Re: Patch for 9.1: initdb -C option

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for 9.1: initdb -C option
Date: 2010-07-15 00:16:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David,

I'd like to volunteer reviewing your patch at first in this commit fest.

We already had a few comments on the list before. I want to see your
opinion for the suggestions prior to code reviews.

Itagaki-san suggested:
| > Enclosed is a patch to add a -C option to initdb to allow you to easily
| > append configuration directives to the generated postgresql.conf file
| Why don't you use just "echo 'options' >> $PGDATA/postgresql.conf" ?
| Could you explain where the -C options is better than initdb + echo?

Greg suggested:
| We had a patch not quite make it for 9.0 that switched over the postgresql.conf
| file to make it easy to scan a whole directory looking for configuration files:
| http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/9837222c0910240641p7d75e2a4u2cfa6c1b5e603d84@mail.gmail.com
|
| The idea there was to eventually reduce the amount of postgresql.conf hacking
| that initdb and other tools have to do. Your patch would add more code into
| a path that I'd like to see reduced significantly.
|
| That implementation would make something easy enough for your use case too
| (below untested but show the general idea):
|
| $ for cluster in 1 2 3 4 5 6;
| do initdb -D data$cluster
| (
| cat <<EOF
| port = 1234$cluster;
| max_connections = 10;
| shared_buffers=1M;
| EOF
| ) > data$cluster/conf.d/99clustersetup
| done
|
| This would actually work just fine for what you're doing right now if you used
| ">> data$cluster/postgresql.conf" for that next to last line there.
| There would be duplicates, which I'm guessing is what you wanted to avoid with
| this patch, but the later values set for the parameters added to the end would
| win and be the active ones.

Peter suggested:
| > Enclosed is a patch to add a -C option to initdb to allow you to easily
| > append configuration directives to the generated postgresql.conf file
| > for use in programmatic generation.
| I like this idea, but please use small -c for consistency with the
| postgres program.

It seems to me what Greg suggested is a recent trend. Additional configurations
within separated files enables to install/uninstall third-party plugins easily
from the perspective of packagers, rather than consolidated configuration.

However, $PGDATA/postgresql.conf is created on initdb, so it does not belong
to a certain package. I don't have certainty whether the recent trend is also
suitable for us, or not.

Thanks,