Re: [Slony1-general] WAL partition overloaded--by autovacuum?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Richard Yen" <richyen(at)iparadigms(dot)com>
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Slony1-general] WAL partition overloaded--by autovacuum?
Date: 2010-07-08 19:04:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I don't understand how you managed to fill up 37GB of disk with
> WAL files.  Every time you fill up checkpoint_segments * 16MB of
> WAL files, you ought to get a checkpoint.  When it's complete, WAL
> segments completely written before the start of the checkpoint
> should be recyclable.  Unless I'm confused, which apparently I am.

You're not alone.  At first I was assuming that it was because of
archiving, but the OP says that's turned off.  Unless it had been on
and there wasn't a *restart* after changing the configuration, I
can't see how this could happen, and was hoping someone else could
cast some light on the issue.

The one setting that gave me pause was:

commit_siblings=200

but it doesn't seem like that should matter with:

commit_delay=0;

-Kevin