Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix log_temp_files docs and comments to say bytes not kilobytes.

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix log_temp_files docs and comments to say bytes not kilobytes.
Date: 2010-07-06 14:51:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

>> We've always output bytes. I'd have noticed the discrepancy myself if I'd
>> read the actual docs ;-)
>>
>> KB would be more useful. And I don't think people have enough scripts built
>> on this yet to make this break anything. We should backport to 8.4.
>>

> log_temp_files was introduced in 8.3, so we'll need to backpatch this
> to 8.3, not just 8.4. Greg Smith tells me Simon has been busy with
> other things, so I'm going to pick this up. Barring objections, I'm
> going to revert Simon's patch and change the behavior instead, per the
> attached patch. I will also back-patch the fix to 8.4 and 8.3.

I was expecting Josh's suggestion to get argued down...I'm curious why
anyone is considering a behavior change in 8.3 or 8.4 over this? It's
reasonable to change the behavior in 9.0, and/or to correct the docs for
8.3 or 8.4, but I would think a behavior change in the earlier versions
would be out of line with the project's version policies. I know I have
scripts that will mysteriously break if this goes into a stable
version. I'm used to writing things that have code for detecting major
version and acting accordingly, but I'd really prefer this project
doesn't ever wander down the path where I need to start writing in code
for "do this on <=8.3.11, this other thing for >=8.3.12".

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us