Re: Unable to commit: transaction marked for rollback

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "David Kerr" <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to commit: transaction marked for rollback
Date: 2010-07-01 21:08:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> wrote:

>> Have you checked the PostgreSQL log file for clues?  If you're
>> not seeing what you need, you could tweak the logging to show
>> more.
>
> We're trying that, it's (of course) intermittent and happens after
> like 5 hours. so huge logfiles, etc as usual. With
> log_statements=none turned on PG logs database errors. so it seems
> like whatever's happening isn't being considered an "error". more
> of a natural database transaction (like a lock) or something. does
> that sound about right?

Hmmm....  I was just guessing at the cause.  With default logging,
if I do this:

test=# begin;
BEGIN
test=# select foo;
ERROR:  column "foo" does not exist
LINE 1: select foo;
               ^
test=# select 'foo';
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end
of transaction block
test=# commit;
ROLLBACK

I see this in the log:

ERROR:  column "foo" does not exist at character 8
STATEMENT:  select foo;
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end
of transaction block
STATEMENT:  select 'foo';

If you aren't seeing something like that, I'm probably off-base in
my guess at the cause.  Nothing else leaps to mind, unfortunately.
:-(

-Kevin