Re: cache lookup failed for index

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Nathan Robertson" <nathan(dot)robertson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cache lookup failed for index
Date: 2010-06-30 15:51:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Nathan Robertson <nathan(dot)robertson(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The failure basically happened because the Django webapp we're
> running isn't effectively closing database connections. So, memory
> is completely filling up and causing the server to hang.
> Yesterday, when this happened it caused the entire network
> interface to become inoperable which meant that the iscsi
> connection to the shared drive stopped working and data became
> corrupt.
>
> I stopped the postgresql service before unmounting and remounting
> the target.

OK, I think the appropriate next step would be to try to run the
PostgreSQL cluster in single-user mode:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-postgres.html

Try to REINDEX pg_class_oid_index in that mode. If that fails, it
might possibly help to run these statements and try the REINDEX
command again:

set enable_indexscan = off;
set enable_bitmapscan = off;

I hope this helps.