Re: pgbench results on a new server

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench results on a new server
Date: 2010-06-25 19:03:30
Lists: pgsql-performance
Craig James wrote:
> I've got a new server and want to make sure it's running well.

Any changes to the postgresql.conf file?  Generally you need at least a
moderate shared_buffers (1GB or so at a minimum) and checkpoint_segments
(32 or higher) in order for the standard pgbench test to give good results.

> pgbench -c20 -t 5000 -U test
> tps = 5789
> pgbench -c30 -t 3333 -U test
> tps = 6961
> pgbench -c40 -t 2500 -U test
> tps = 2945

General numbers are OK, the major drop going from 30 to 40 clients is
larger than it should be.  I'd suggest running the 40 client count one
again to see if that's consistent.  If it is, that may just be pgbench
itself running into a problem.  It doesn't handle high client counts
very well unless you use the 9.0 version that supports multiple pgbench
workers with the "-j" option.