Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load
Date: 2010-06-25 16:55:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

Craig James wrote:
> if I upgrade a bloated database using the upgrade-in-place feature,
> will 8.4.4 recover the bloat and return it to the OS, or do I still
> have to recover the space manually (like vacuum-full/reindex, or
> cluster, or copy/drop a table)?

There's no way for an upgrade in place to do anything about bloat. The
changes in 8.4 reduce the potential sources for new bloat (like running
out of a FSM pages), and the overhead of running VACUUM drops some due
to things like the "Partial VACUUM" changes. But existing bloated
tables and indexes are moved forward to the new version without any change.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us