Re: Aggressive autovacuuming ?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jesper Krogh" <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Aggressive autovacuuming ?
Date: 2010-06-21 17:01:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc> wrote:

> My thought was that if I tuned autovacuum to be "really
> aggressive" then I could get autovacuum to actually vacuum the
> tuples before they get evicted from the OS cache thus effectively
> "saving" the IO-overhead of vacuuming.

Interesting concept. That might be a way to avoid the extra disk
I/O to set hint bits, and then some. I haven't tried it, but I'm
going to make a note to take a look when (if???) I get some free
time. If you give it a try, please post the results. If you're I/O
bound (rather than CPU bound) and you choose *extremely* aggressive
settings, the multiple writes to pages *might* collapse in cache and
significantly reduce I/O.

I don't think I'd try it on a release prior to 8.4, however. Nor
would I consider trying this in a production environment without a
good set of tests.

-Kevin