Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: onur(dot)oguzel(at)gmail(dot)com, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns
Date: 2010-06-21 07:31:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 20/06/2010 22:52, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Le 20/06/2010 22:00, Onur GUZEL a écrit :
>>> [...]
>>> I want to contribute to pgadmin project, is it ok to start with
>>> http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/90 ( Create Table Dialog: Change
>>> Column after creation/Reorder Columns )
>>>

>> The aim of the ticket is to allow the reordering of columns in a table.
>> This is not a functionality of PostgreSQL. So, you'll have to think a
>> bit on how to do this with pgAdmin. You'll need to find a way to get all
>> the metadatas and the datas of the table, to create a new one, nearly
>> identical (nearly because the order of the columns will be changed, and
>> only that).
>
> The body of the ticket actually covers both the pre-creation, and
> post-creation cases. Post-creation is essentially impossible to
> support without changes in PostgreSQL.

I didn't think about pre-creation as in interesting thing. But thinking
more about it, you're right.

On the post-creation, I don't see it as impossible. I see it as hard
work, but possible.

>> IOW, the UI needed is just a snap to do (a couple of buttons to bring up
>> or down the selected column), but the underlying work to make it happen
>> could be quite hard.
>
> That's all that's needed for pre-creation reordering, and should be
> quite straightforward... but... I am intending to redesign the table
> dialogue for 1.14, so any work on this might go to waste (but, I
> cannot guarantee I'll have the resources, so it may not!).

Yeah, I've been thinking about it too. The pre-creation patch should be
easy to code. Could happen before you get to work on the redesign.
Unless you want to work it now.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr