Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Pierre C <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Date: 2010-06-18 20:55:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

> It must be a setting, not a version.
>
> For instance suppose you have a session table for your website and a
> users table.
>
> - Having ACID on the users table is of course a must ;
> - for the sessions table you can drop the "D"

You're trying to solve a different use-case than the one I am.

Your use-case will be solved by global temporary tables. I suggest that
you give Robert Haas some help & feedback on that.

My use case is people using PostgreSQL as a cache, or relying entirely
on replication for durability.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.