Re: B-Heaps

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Eliot Gable <egable+pgsql-performance(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: B-Heaps
Date: 2010-06-18 17:53:24
Lists: pgsql-performance
Matthew Wakeling wrote:
> This sort of thing has been fairly well researched at an academic
> level, but has not been implemented in that many real world
> situations. I would encourage its use in Postgres.

I guess, but don't forget that work on PostgreSQL is driven by what
problems people are actually running into.  There's a long list of
performance improvements sitting in the TODO list waiting for people to
find time to work on them, ones that we're quite certain are useful.
That anyone is going to chase after any of these speculative ideas from
academic research instead of one of those is unlikely.  Your
characterization of the potential speed up here is "Using a proper tree
inside the index page would improve the CPU usage of the index lookups",
which seems quite reasonable.  Regardless, when I consider "is that
something I have any reason to suspect is a bottleneck on common
workloads?", I don't think of any, and return to working on one of
things I already know is instead.