Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Date: 2010-06-15 23:18:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 6/15/10 10:37 AM, Chris Browne wrote:
> swampler(at)noao(dot)edu (Steve Wampler) writes:
>> Or does losing WAL files mandate a new initdb?
>
> Losing WAL would mandate initdb, so I'd think this all fits into the
> set of stuff worth putting onto ramfs/tmpfs. Certainly it'll all be
> significant to the performance focus.

I'd like to see some figures about WAL on RAMfs vs. simply turning off
fsync and full_page_writes. Per Gavin's tests, PostgreSQL is already
close to TokyoCabinet/MongoDB performance just with those turned off; I
wonder if actually having the WAL on a memory partition would make any
real difference in throughput.

I've seen a lot of call for this recently, especially since PostgreSQL
seems to be increasingly in use as a reporting server for Hadoop. Might
be worth experimenting with just making wal writing a no-op. We'd also
want to disable checkpointing, of course.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.