Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Adam Alkins <postgresql(at)adamalkins(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 19:25:15
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-www
On 06/15/2010 08:46 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>  wrote:
>> well we have pgcrypto in the main source tarball and we are able to
>> distribute solaris/linux and other binaries through our mirror network just
>> fine (and we managed to distribute the old MSI based windows installer als)
>> so it seems easy enough to do the same for the one-click...
>
> You mean noone has complained yet. The fact is, we *have* had
> face-to-face contact from US authorities on this matter, reminding us
> (in not too subtle terms) that it is not legal to distribute crypto
> code to embargoed countries, and requiring us to put in place
> preventative measures. Those laws do apply to any people or servers in
> the US, not just EnterpriseDB - we're just easier to intimidate in
> person than the community.
>
> Now, that was a few years ago, and some people are now saying that
> exceptions are in place for Open Source software. We have folks
> looking into this, and if we're given the go-ahead to remove the
> blocks, we'll do so ASAP.

well i talked with the debian people on that and I got the following bit:

http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain

which states: "Under the new US Regulations, not only the open source,
but also the compiled executable software derived from open source, is
eligible for export under the same conditions as the open source itself,
provided that the compiled executable is available without restriction
and free of charge. "

and also a lot of other very interesting stuff on how to deal with this
mess.

Stefan