Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 18:55:03
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-www
> Greg is entirely correct. We cannot export or facilitate the export of
> cryto code to embargoed countries, such as Syria due to US export
> laws. This doesn't just apply to EnterpriseDB of course, it applies to
> the community as well, either where our servers are in the US, or the
> people working on them are in the US. The penalties for ignoring this
> are *extremely* harsh.

Speaking from having dealt with this at Sun: it's not just crypto code.
 It's any goods at all, paid or not.  EDB cannot remove their block.
Welcome to the Brave New World.

The answer would be for the community to mirror the one-click installers
on a non-US server.  This should, preferably, be done by community
members who neither work for EDB nor are Americans and without any
active cooperation from EDB.

Of course, if someone wanted to download from one of those countries and
did so via a relay machine in a non-embargoed country, we would have no
way to detect that.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.