Re: BUG #5507: missing chunk number 0 for toast value XXXXX in pg_toast_XXXXX

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Shinji Nakajima" <sinakaj(at)jops(dot)co(dot)jp>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5507: missing chunk number 0 for toast value XXXXX in pg_toast_XXXXX
Date: 2010-06-14 15:10:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Shinji Nakajima" <sinakaj(at)jops(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Error message called "missing chunk number" occurred when I did
> select of the specific column of the specific table.

> I delete a record, and the system restores, but prime cause is
> unknown. Will this be a bug of the databases?

Errors like this are usually caused by hardware problems. I think
the second-most common cause is running in a configuration with
fsync = off or full_page_writes = off, and suffering a power outage
or OS crash. I would recommend that you check your configuration
for these unsafe settings and schedule a check of your hardware and
drivers.

-Kevin