Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints
Date: 2010-06-10 07:18:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 09/06/10 10:21, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 18:30 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> I prefer archive_cleanup_command. We should name things after their
>> principal function, not an implementation detail, IMNSHO.
>>
>> More importantly, we should include an example in the docs. I created
>> one the other day  when this was actually bothering me a bit (see
>> <http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/85-Keeping-a-hot-standby-log-archive-clean.html>).
>> That seemed to work ok, but maybe it's too long, and maybe people would
>> prefer a shell script to perl.
>
> I submitted a patch to make the command "pg_standby -a %r"
>
> That's a more portable solution, ISTM.
>
> I'll commit that and fix the docs.

Huh, wait. There's no -a option in pg_standby, so I presume you're
planning to add that too. I don't like confusing pg_standby into this,
the docs are currently quite clear that if you want to use the built-in
standby mode, you can't use pg_standby, and this would muddy the waters.

Maybe we could add a new pg_cleanuparchive binary, but we'll need some
discussion...

--
   Heikki Linnakangas