Re: How about closing some Open Items?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How about closing some Open Items?
Date: 2010-06-08 22:20:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Whoa, there. There is not any way of moving forward with this list
> without explaining why the list in its present form is not too useful.

Ah, the way I read your post was "the list is not useful therefore I
will ignore it." From that perspective it was important for me to
respond to you lest other hackers make the same excuse to ignore the
open items list.

So, miscommunication over!

> If I simply start overhauling the list without explaining what I
> perceive to be the systematic problems with it, then I will get yelled
> at for failing to follow community process.

Nonsense. The one good thing about admin stuff in this community is
since nobody wants to do it, you seldom get critiqued for how you did
it. ;-)

> So I agree with your statement that we need to improve the quality of
> the list, which is why I just spent three hours working on the items
> where I could discern a clear action item as well as doing some
> cleanup. Like most PG hackers, I am extremely busy, which is why I
> would appreciate any help that you or any other community member would
> care to offer to help get the list cleaned up.

Yeah, I was going through the list today trying to see if stuff needed
to be removed or added, which is why I noticed the almost total lack of
movement since the 26th.

> Failing that, or in
> addition, I would appreciate feedback on what I believe to be a
> legitimate complaint about the documentation items on the list,
> namely, that they're mostly unimportant things that should probably
> just be dropped unless or until the people who originally raised the
> issues feel like pursuing them.

Well, if something is too trivial to be worth fixing, that's a reason to
remove it.

> I am trying to solve a problem, not pick a fight. I responded to your
> original post on this topic by dropping what I was planning to do this
> afternoon to work on this, and I'd like a few brownie points for that.

Brownie points granted. Although I'd think actual brownies or cookies
would be better. ;-)

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.