Re: Performance drop after upgrading to 8.4.4?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Max Williams <Max(dot)Williams(at)mflow(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance drop after upgrading to 8.4.4?
Date: 2010-06-07 16:34:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Max Williams wrote:

> No one has had this problem??? Should I perhaps direct this to the
> developers list?

pgsql-performance is the list you should have sent this to. There are
several people who are subscribed to that one but not to -general or
-hackers who enjoy helping with this particular type of problem. Make
sure you include your operating system and disk controller information
on that one, I wasn't sure where to start without those two bits of info.

Also, see if the problem goes away if the client load is smaller. Peak
pgbench performance on your system is going to be with between 8 and 16
clients, and the way it falls off after that depends on operating
systems issues rather than PostgreSQL ones.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us