SR slaves and .pgpass

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SR slaves and .pgpass
Date: 2010-06-06 20:42:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
The docs state, w.r.t. $subject:

    The password can be provided either in the primary_conninfo string
    or in a separate ~/.pgpass file on the standby server.

I tried this with a database name of "replication" in the .pgpass file,
which matches what we need to use in pg_hba.conf, but it failed
miserably, and only worked when I used a wildcard for the database name
in the .pgpass file.

If this is expected it needs to be documented more clearly; if not, it's
a bug.

I expect this to be quite  a common thing to do - many people will be
like me and dislike putting passwords in config files.

cheers

andrerw

Next:From: Samuel StearnsDate: 2010-06-06 23:23:03