Re: dividing money by money

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andy Balholm" <andy(at)balholm(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dividing money by money
Date: 2010-06-01 14:43:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Andy Balholm <andy(at)balholm(dot)com> wrote:
> On May 30, 2010, at 6:53 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> You would then generate a diff in context format and post to the
>> -hackers list with that file as an attachment.
>
> Here it is:
>
> [context diff attachment]
>
> I can't add it to the CommitFest page, since I don't have web
> access, just e-mail. Could you please take care of that part?

Done. I'll keep it up-to-date as other posts occur.

> (What is the CommitFest page, anyway?)

"A CommitFest is a periodic break to PostgreSQL development that
focuses on patch review and commit rather than new development."
These are held so that all the work for a release gets relatively
prompt review and feedback, and so that work for a release doesn't
pile up until the end of the release cycle. During these periods
developers are asked to review and test the patches submitted by
others. The hope is that this will also reduce the burden on those
who do the final review and commit. The CF page is used to keep
track of submitted patches and their status, to help manage the
process.

When we're not trying to put together a major release CFs tend to
run for one month each with a one month gap between them. Due to
the process of getting a release out the door, though, the last one
started on the 15th of January and the next one starts on the 15th
of July. We're going to try to get some early review on as many
patches as possible starting the 15th of June, but the committers
probably won't have much time to deal with any of this until the
official CF, so we're calling this (less formal) period a "Review
Fest".

The peer review process often results in discussion on the -hackers
list and/or requests for some sort of modification before commit.
Most patches wind up getting committed, although some are returned
with feedback (in hopes that the submitter will make some change
and submit to a later cycle) or rejected (if they are determined by
the community not to be useful changes).

By the way, I signed on to review your patch.

-Kevin