Re: Winflex

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Winflex
Date: 2010-05-30 13:11:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Using
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/misc/winflex/
>
> on a 64-bit windows, but in 32-bit mode (this certainly used to work),
> trying to build HEAD.
>
> first of all, it returns error code 128 when running "flex -V", which
> means our script claims it doesn't work. Commenting out that check, it
> crashes along the line of:
> Running flex on src\backend\utils\misc\guc-file.l
> 14 [main] flex 2372 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception:
> STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>
> Sometimes it doesn't crash, but do this instead:
> Running flex on src\backend\parser\scan.l
> c:\gnuwin32\bin\m4.exe:stdin:16769: ERROR: end of file in string
> Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 128 returned from 'C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\cm
> d.exe'.
>

> If I run it a couple of times, it eventually completes. But then bombs
> out because the generated files aren't complete.
>
> Anybody else seen this? Am I forgetting something typical?

[6 months later ...]

I have upgraded the winflex binaries (and the accompanying source
tarball) to use version 1.7.5-1 of cygwin1.dll, after confirming that
this works properly on both 64-bit and 32-bit windows. It should be on
its way out to the mirrors. A shortcut would be to grab the DLL from
<http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/cygwin1.dll> and drop it in
the directory with flex.exe. This DLL will disappear in a few days.

cheers

andrew