Re: there is a way to deactivate type validation on 8.3.1????

From: erobles <erobles(at)sensacd(dot)com(dot)mx>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: there is a way to deactivate type validation on 8.3.1????
Date: 2010-05-28 18:45:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/28/2010 01:26 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 11:20 AM, erobles wrote:
>> hi!
>> only for ask, there is a way to deactivate type validation, so i can do
>>
>> select rtrim(number_field) from table ; with no error and the message:
>> "You might need to explicit type casts"
>>
>> this is postgres 8.3.1.
>>

> What are you trying to do? I am trying to think what rtrim does on a
> number.

you are right, i'm trying to make a rtrim to a number.
the reason of my question is we have a lot of apps with similar
querys , when we have postgres7.2 this kind of querys just simply
execute very well, so.. when change to postgres 8.3 this querys fail
beacuse they needit an explicit cast.

one solution is change the querys of apps and recompile, but time is
short and the deadline is near.

other solution is create a function to each explicit cast, but we
dont have the time to research if there are more mismatch querys.

so the easy way is deactivate the validation type ...

so another