Re: BUG #5469: regexp_matches() has poor behaviour and more poor documentation

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #5469: regexp_matches() has poor behaviour and more poor documentation
Date: 2010-05-26 04:14:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 26/05/10 15:51, Robert Haas wrote:

> I'm not sure that it's very productive to refer to the behavior of our
> code as insane.

Not meaning to single you out Robert, but typically folk are honest with
their impression of the code without worrying about feather ruffling too
much e.g: searching for "brain dead" in the pg-hackers archives returns
a sizeable collection of reading material.

Personally I think it is good to be blunt about code we consider not
well thought out or well behaved. Obviously in some cases such comments
may turn out to be incorrect or misleading (e.g user error or not
reading the docs), but I don't think we should try (too hard anyway) to
smother any strong criticism.

regards

Mark