Re: PgWest Locations

From: "Meredith L(dot) Patterson" <mlp(at)thesmartpolitenerd(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgWest Locations
Date: 2010-05-22 15:18:25
Lists: sfpug
On 5/22/2010 3:08 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> What is the area like around the Kabuki?
>
> It's mixed.  The area north of the kabuki is the current hot
> restaurant district in SF and very chic.  South of the kabuki is the
> fillmore/geary area which has some public housing and the attendant
> grimyness.  Not any real danger or serious crime, but public
> drunkeness and pandhandling.

Note that toward the end of the week, at least, a lot of the
drunk-in-public folks are just clubgoers, since the Fillmore is right
there. The bus stop at Fillmore and Geary can be a little sketchy around
3 am, but I never felt worried or threatened during the two years I
lived relatively nearby. In any case, the area around the Kabuki is
clean and pleasant (and full of restaurants) for a good four blocks in
any direction, probably more.

 > Then we cut some kind of mutual promotion deal with Usenix and get
some attendee crossover.

USENIX has historically been really cool about this sort of thing (at
least in Len's and my experience), and LISA is a particularly
appropriate crossover event.

Cheers,
--mlp