Re: PgWest Locations

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgWest Locations
Date: 2010-05-22 15:09:06
Lists: sfpug

> Crowne Plaza Hotel
> 1221 Chess Drive
> Foster City, CA 94404
> http://www.eventscp.com

I wouldn't recommend Foster City, because you'll get low attendance from
*both* SF city and San Jose. Sometimes being in-between is being
"neither here nor there". There are a bunch of pg-using companies in
the neighborhood, but historically we haven't been able to get them to
attend Postgres events even when held in San Mateo.

> Intercontinental SF
> http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/hotel-features/event-facilities/overview/sanfrancisco-markhopkins
> (To do this one, we have to move to the next week)

This is a top hotel and would be really cool. I personally have a
conflict for that weekend, but that shouldn't decide you. If you're
going to hold it in San Francisco city, and that's a affordable venue,
it should be your top choice.

> I am leaning toward the Crowne Plaza because it is very close to SFO but
> you guys certainly know the area better than us.

That's not actually a benefit. The last time the Linux Foundation held
and event in that area, it had almost no local attendance.

I have another suggestion. Since the prospective date is now
immediately before Usenix LISA, we should have the conference in San
Jose, as close to the San Jose Convention Center as we can get without
breaking the bank (the convention center, of course, would break the
bank, take my word for it). Then we cut some kind of mutual promotion
deal with Usenix and get some attendee crossover.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.