Re: Best starter book

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best starter book
Date: 2010-05-22 00:04:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

As Tom explained in his post the error results from the way
authentication is configured in PG's data directory.
I think OpenSuse sets it here /var/lib/pgsql

In pg_hba.conf you can define how a client has to authenticate devided
in 3 zones coming through local (default) or via network port 5432
either on localhost or on the external interface.

You created the database "mydb". In Suse's default setting only the unix
user "mydb" or a db-superuser can access this db and there has to be a
db-usere "mydb", too.

You might install pgAdmin as managing tool. It's a binary application
available for Linux and Windows.
It should be in the OpenSuse repository.
http://www.pgadmin.org/

Then there is a web-application phpPgAdmin if you like that better.