Re: 8K recordsize bad on ZFS?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8K recordsize bad on ZFS?
Date: 2010-05-12 01:01:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Sure, but bulk load + reandom selects is going to *guarentee*
> fragmentatioon on a COW system (like ZFS, BTRFS, etc) as the selects
> start to write out all the hint-bit-dirtied blocks in random orders...
>
> i.e. it doesn't take long to make an originally nicely continuous block
> random....

I'm testing with DD and Bonnie++, though, which create their own files.

For that matter, running an ETL procedure with a newly created database
on both recordsizes was notably (2.5x) faster on the 128K system.

So I don't think fragmentation is the difference.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.