Re: BOF at pgCon?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgresCluster ML <pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BOF at pgCon?
Date: 2010-05-10 18:53:21
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> What about during the day, perhaps a lunch? Or if we could all find a slot where we
> aren't speaking and/or ;) not interested in the talks for that block...
> Talks don't start until 10AM on Friday, so <10 is an option too.

It's tough to just do lunch given the fairly narrow time window for it
and how many talks I'm seeing from people here around that time.  Having
a talk and a break worth of time, or something else that cuts across
more time, would be more likely to work.  And I'm not real optimistic
about being productive early in the morning after the EDB party.

Since I'm happy to be the jerk who announces which slots I'd consider
missing for a cluster meeting instead, I'll list what I see as schedule
possibilities during the conference itself, given the regulars I know of
on this list and what talks I expect to be popular:

1) Friday, 5:30PM-?  Take over the room potentially as soon as the
Postgres-XC talk ends and miss "Closing sessions" if we're concerned
about starting early for people who have to leave on Friday night,
continue into the BOF #2 time from 6:00PM-8:00PM.  What's nice about
this is we have a room to grab and everything.

2) Wednesday, 6:00PM-?, after developer meeting.  I expect everyone to
be tired of talking at this point, but it's a possibility.  Not sure
where to meet though.

3) Friday, 9:00AM-10:00AM.  Could borrow one of the session rooms.  Not
quite enough time and I'd expect attendance to be low for this one.

4) Thursday, 11:00AM-1:30PM.  Nice follow up to the "Built-in
replication in PostgreSQL 9.0" session.  Would miss "Hypothetical
Indexes towards self-tuning in PostgreSQL", "PostgreSQL in
Mission-Critical Financial Systems", "Efficient k-nn search with GiST
and other development"; not a lot of overlap in topics/speakers there I
think.

5) Friday, 10:00AM-11:30AM.  Leads into the "Replication Panel" on
Friday at 11:30AM.  Would miss "PL/Parrot", "PgMQ", "Identifying,
Monitoring, and Controlling PostgreSQL Traffic [through pgBouncer]".

Realistically, I think only (1) is feasible here, but there's the other
options I see.