Re: BUG #5448: psql \set does not terminate if variable is referenced recursively

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Francis" <fmarkham(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5448: psql \set does not terminate if variable is referenced recursively
Date: 2010-05-05 17:24:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> We could print a message and treat the inner
> expansion as empty --- is that good enough?

If there's any way to throw an error, that seems better.  I can
imagine someone getting confused by silent failure here.  On the
other hand, since this probably doesn't happen very often, maybe
it's not worth the effort.  I could even see an argument for just
testing for Ctrl+C before each expansion and otherwise leaving it as
is.

-Kevin