Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 - dumping database connection privileges

From: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 - dumping database connection privileges
Date: 2010-05-02 04:35:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 02/05/10 01:36, Tom Lane wrote:
> Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>
>> Is this considered a bug that the only way to do a dump/restore with
>> database privileges is to use pg_dumpall?
>>
> No, that's the intended place for them given the current division of
> labor between pg_dump and pg_dumpall. There have been complaints before
> about this, but no one has proposed a better approach (where better
> means "fixes this without breaking use-cases that work now").
>
> regards, tom lane

I have just spent an hour searching the archives and have been unable to
find any discussions on this issue. I must be searching the wrong
terms. Any ideas? I would like to discuss this further, but it's a
little futile without reading the background material.

Also are use-cases that work now covered in the previous discussions,
I'd like to know what they are.

Regards

Russell