Re: Performance and Clustering

From: Ozz Nixon <ozznixon(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance and Clustering
Date: 2010-04-29 16:49:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/29/10 12:42 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> Alban Hertroys wrote:
>> The reason I'm asking is that Postgres doesn't perform at its best on
>> Windows and I seriously wonder whether the OS would be able to handle
>> a load like that at all (can Windows handle 4000 open sockets for
>> example?).
>
> You have to go out of your way to even get >125 connections going on
> Windows; see the very last entry at
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows

I design socket component suites for developers, on windows, with few
registry tweaks, you are able to have over 50,000 live, hot sockets. On
Linux 2.6 and later, I have yet to hit a serious limit.

Performance wise, your focus will be poor memory paging, so make sure
you have too much RAM, and nothing else running.

O.