Re: Storing many big files in database- should I do it?

From: Justin Graf <justin(at)magwerks(dot)com>
To: David Wall <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>, Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Storing many big files in database- should I do it?
Date: 2010-04-29 16:45:55
Lists: pgsql-general
On 4/29/2010 12:07 PM, David Wall wrote:

> Big downside for the DB is that all large objects appear to be stored
> together in pg_catalog.pg_largeobject, which seems axiomatically
> troubling that you know you have lots of big data, so you then store
> them together, and then worry about running out of 'loids'.
Huh ???  isn't that point of using bytea or text datatypes.

I could have sworn bytea does not use large object interface it uses
TOAST or have i gone insane

Many people encode the binary data in Base64  and store as text data
type??  Then never have to deal with escaping  bytea data type. Which i
have found can be a pain

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by our proprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other information proprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it addresses. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.