Re: Redundant statements

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Redundant statements
Date: 2010-04-29 12:15:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On 28.04.2010 19:16, brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at wrote:
> Aloha!
>
> I am testing Guillaume's version of pgadmin3.exe from Apr. 17.
>
> The fix below is included and it seems to fix the problem just fine.
> However, as a side effect (?) there is now a redundant statement for
> each and every column:
>     ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar SET STORAGE PLAIN;
> or
>     ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN baz SET STORAGE EXTENDED;
>
> I think those statements should only be included, if the storage type
> differs from the default setting - like "SET STATISTICS" is handled now.
> It is pretty noisy as it is now.
>
> On a side note: I would handle "WITH (OIDS=FALSE)" for table
> definitions likewise: only print it, if it differs from the default
> setting.

Maybe an option "Show complete SQL"? To switch between "complete"
(noisy) and default display (only what is necessary to create an
identical object with the current settings).
Personally I am only interested in the "compact" version, but other
people's preferences may vary?

This would be a major wishlist item. Not complicated, but possibly many
lines of code.
What do you think of it? Should I create a ticket?

Regards
Erwin