Re: Postgresql on EC2/EBS in production?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Nikhil G(dot) Daddikar" <ngd(at)celoxis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql on EC2/EBS in production?
Date: 2010-04-27 16:31:51
Lists: pgsql-general
Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:
> I was wondering if any of you are using (or tried to use) PG+EC2/EBS
> on a production system. Are any best-practices. Googling didn't help
> much. A few articles I came across scared me a bit.

There have been a couple of reports of happy users:

There are two main things to be wary of:

1) Physical I/O is not very good, thus how that first system used a RAID0.

2) Reliability of EBS is terrible by database standards; I commented on
this a bit already at The
end result is that you must be careful about how you back your data up,
with a continuous streaming backup via WAL shipping being the
recommended approach.  I wouldn't deploy into this environment in a
situation where losing a minute or two of transactions in the case of a
EC2/EBS failure would be unacceptable, because that's something that's a
bit more likely to hapen here than on most database hardware.