Re: Wierd quirk of HS/SR, probably not fixable

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wierd quirk of HS/SR, probably not fixable
Date: 2010-04-27 15:07:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Yep. I've committed a patch to do that.
>
> Is there no way for the slave to recover from this situation?

No, it will never open up for hot standby, and it will error at the end
of recovery anyway. This just makes it happen earlier and with a smarter
error message.

In theory, if the data directory was fully copied by the time of the
shutdown/crash and the only thing that was missing was pg_stop_backup(),
all the data is there, so you could get a consistent database. But we
can't know if it's consistent or not, so we don't allow it.

--
Heikki Linnakangas