Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list
Date: 2010-04-19 08:27:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>> ... actually, what about minimally modifying the commitfest app to turn
>>> it into a bug tracker?
>>>
>>> We keep complaining that none of the existing trackers would integrate
>>> well with our workflow. ISTM what we basically need is something that
>>> would index the pgsql-bugs archives to show what the current open issues
>>> are. The commitfest app is dang close to that already.
>> Let's not do that without thinking really careful about it. The
>> commitfest app is good at what it does precisely because it's designed
>> to do just that, and nothing more (or less). Twisting it into doing
>> other things may make things worse rather than better.
>>
>> That said, basing something off the same ideas can certainly work.
>
> I don't think the code is terribly hard to write no matter how we do
> it, and if that means I have to write it, oh well. What is
> frustrating about the current process is that ~5% of the bugs don't
> get a response. How are we going to fix that problem?

by nagging people - if we simply had a dashboard or an email interface
(think of the buildfarm dashboard and the status email reports it
provides to both developers and animalowners) to make the issue more
visible I think most of the problem of "no reply at all" would (mostly)
"solve" itself.

Stefan