Re: Converting a table from SQL Server

From: Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting a table from SQL Server
Date: 2010-04-17 19:21:54
Lists: pgsql-novice
Bob McConnell wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Bob McConnell
>> <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I am just beginning to learn a number of new tools simultaneously, so
>>> please
>>> bear with me. I have installed Apache 2.2, PHP 5 and PostgreSQL 8.2.1
>>> on a
>>> couple of servers to play with. I also have pgAdmin III 1.8.4 running
>>> on one
>>> workstation which is able to connect with each server. I am not yet
>>> fully
>>> happy with the results, but they are close enough now for me to start
>>> trying
>>> a few experiments.
>>> I found the text below while searching for something on Google. Based
>>> on the
>>> site it was posted to, I believe it is for SQL Server. I would like to
>>> convert it into Postgres and make it a standard component of every
>>> database
>>> I build. (I added the PatchNumber field.)
>>> But I have only found articles on how to convert from MySQL to
>>> Postgres and
>>> a few on how to convert from SQL Server to MySQL. So how do I
>>> translate this
>>> without leaving the bad taste of MySQL in my mouth? Or is there a
>>> similar
>>> recommended practice for Postgres?
>> Do you mean that you want an auto-translator for SQL Server to
>> Postgres?  Or do you mean that you just need help with Postgresql
>> syntax?  If it is the latter, the docs for postgresql are quite good:
>> Sean
> In this case, I just want to manually translate these lines from
> Microsoft SQL to Postgres SQL so I can append them to every database and
> script I build. Since I don't know either language yet, and have no
> desire to learn the Microsoft (nor MySQL) variation, I don't know the
> best way to proceed. What makes it even more confusing is that I know
> just enough Sybase ASA SQL to be dangerous. That's the one I have had to
> deal with at work for the past ten years.
> I know, the best thing about standards is that there are so many to
> choose from.

Ok, just to close the loop on this old question, I finally got around to
finalizing this translation. Below is the table I am adding to each new
database I create.

CREATE TABLE schema_changes(
    id serial PRIMARY KEY,
    majorrelease varchar(2) NOT NULL,
    minorrelease varchar(2) NOT NULL,
    pointrelease varchar(4) NOT NULL,
    patch varchar(4) NOT NULL,
    scriptname varchar(50) NOT NULL,
    dateapplied timestamp without time zone NOT NULL

INSERT INTO schema_changes (

Bob McConnell