Re: BUG #5418: psql exits after using tab-completion with error message

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Ben Madin <ben(at)ausvet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5418: psql exits after using tab-completion with error message
Date: 2010-04-13 12:33:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> prices=# \d abapsql(11407) malloc: *** error for object 0xe: pointer being
> freed was not allocated
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> Abort trap

This could be a bug in psql, a buggy/damaged readline library, etc.

For GUI apps Mac OS X makes a crash record in the system logs. I'm not
sure if it does that for command line apps too - I think it does. Can
you check "Console" and see if there are any crash dumps for psql?

If not, to find out what's going on it may be necessary to attach a
debugger. This probably isn't installed on your computer. You would need
the Developer Tools (XCode etc), which can be obtained from the Apple
web site as a free download.

I don't have access to Mac OS X 10.6, but maybe someone else here does
and can reproduce the issue. Even if they can, it might still be helpful
to get some additional info on the crash you're having, so it'd be great
if you could grab the developer tools and reply once they're installed. See:

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/xcode.html

You need a "dev center" username/password, but it's free to register and
they don't spam you. See:

http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

(click "Get Started")

--