Re: Getting started

From: Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen(at)etf(dot)bg(dot)ac(dot)rs>
To: PostgreSQL Novice elist <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting started
Date: 2010-04-13 10:26:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey Group;
>
> I am a novice for sure with postgres. I do have some experience with
> that "M" database. However, that amounts to upgrading from version 1 to
> version 2. What is the best place to start with postgres. I do have it
> running after debugging openSuSE /etc/init.d/pgsql script.
>
> 2608 ? Ss 0:01 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> What is next? I have a commercial application that requires postgres.'

Start with this one:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/tutorial-start.html

If you need richer client than psql, you might consider pgAdmin III.

If you need to have SQL client on one machine and server on other you
will probably need some basic understanding of configuration files
postgresql.conf, and pg_hba.conf.

Regards,
Ognjen