Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pavelbaros <baros(dot)p(at)seznam(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-04-13 05:20:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I just worry about any feature which doesn't get as far as a
> user-visible implementation.  If someone doesn't do the rest of the
> parts soon, such features tend to atrophy because nobody is using them.

While they're limited, there are complexly viable prototype quality
implementations possible here without a large amount of work to get them
started.  I'm not worried too much about this feature being unused.  As
I was just reminded when assembling an page on the wiki about it:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Materalized_Views it's currently ranked
#1--by a large margin--on the UserVoice feature request survey that
Peter kicked off.