Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pavelbaros <baros(dot)p(at)seznam(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-04-13 01:31:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I don't want to see Materialized Views wander down the same path as
> partitioning, where lots of people produce "fun parts" patches, while
> ignoring the grunt work of things like production quality catalog
> support for the feature.  I think Pavel's proposal got that part right
> by starting with the grammar and executor setup trivia.  And Robert's
> comments about the details in that area it's easy to forget about hit
> the mark too.

Good point.  And GSoC may be one of the few times we can get people to
do that kind of work.  Other than Simon, of course.  ;-)

I just worry about any feature which doesn't get as far as a
user-visible implementation.  If someone doesn't do the rest of the
parts soon, such features tend to atrophy because nobody is using them.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.