Re: How check execution plan of a function

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Sabin Coanda" <sabin(dot)coandaSPAMPROTECTION(at)deuromedia(dot)ro>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How check execution plan of a function
Date: 2010-04-12 13:50:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
"Sabin Coanda" <sabin(dot)coandaSPAMPROTECTION(at)deuromedia(dot)ro> wrote:

> I have just a function returning a cursor based on a single coplex
> query. When I check the execution plan of that query it takes
> about 3 seconds. Just when it is used inside the function it
> freezes.
>
> This is the problem, and this is the reason I cannot imagine what
> is happen.
>
> Also I tried to recreate the function as it was before when it run
> in 3 seconds, but I cannot make it to run properly now.

You've given three somewhat confusing and apparently contradictory
descriptions of the problem or problems you've had with slow queries
-- all on one thread.  You would probably have better luck if you
start with one particular issue and provided more of the information
suggested here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

If we can solve one problem, perhaps the resolution to the others
will become apparent; otherwise follow up with the next.

-Kevin