Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pavelbaros <baros(dot)p(at)seznam(dot)cz>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC - proposal - Materialized Views in PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-04-10 13:15:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> 1. Keep the materialized view up-to-date when the base tables change.
> This can be further divided into many steps, you can begin by supporting
> automatic updates only on very simple views with e.g a single table and
> a where clause. Then extend that to support joins, aggregates,
> subqueries etc. Keeping it really limited, you could even require the
> user to write the required triggers himself.

That last bit doesn't strike me as much of an advance. Isn't the whole
point of this to automate it? Creating greedy materialized views is
usually not terribly difficult now, but you do have to write the triggers.

The other thing that could be interesting about this would be some
scheme for lazy refresh that didn't involve re-extracting the whole data
set.

cheers

andrew