Re: regexp_matches illegally restricts rows -- just a documentation issue?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: regexp_matches illegally restricts rows -- just a documentation issue?
Date: 2010-04-06 05:06:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 4/5/10 9:16 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I can't see how this is anything but a bug; as far as I know, nothing in
> the target list is allowed to restrict the number of rows which are
> returned by the query. We should get 7 rows, 3 of which have an empty
> array or a NULL in the 2nd column.

Just noticed it's a SETOF[] function. Which makes it odd that I can
call it in the target list at all, but explains the row restriction.

It's still confusing behavior (three regulars on IRC thought it was a
bug too) and users should be warned in the documentation. Not sure
exactly where, though ... maybe in 9.7?

--Josh Berkus