Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2010-04-05 14:52:09
Lists: pgsql-docs

Tom Lane wrote:
> Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no> writes:
>> I am wondering if we have ever evaluated the use of explanatory diagrams
>> in the PostgreSQL documentation.
> There actually used to be some.  We've moved away from them, I believe,
> because of the difficulty of maintenance; which stems mainly from the
> lack of any universally-available tools.  Unless you can tell me what
> you're going to draw the diagram with and how people on Unix, Windows,
> or Mac could modify it later, I'm going to not be very interested ...
> 			regards, tom lane

Well, I was thinking about DIA [1]. It runs on Unix, Windows and Mac.
It loads and saves diagrams to a custom XML format and it can export
diagrams to a number of formats, including EPS, SVG, XFIG, WMF and PNG.

I have to admit that I have only use this program on Linux.

- --
 Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
 University of Oslo, Norway

 PGP Public Key:
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -