"1-Click" installer problems

From: "Nikhil G(dot) Daddikar" <ngd(at)celoxis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "1-Click" installer problems
Date: 2010-04-01 02:28:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have been trying to install 8.4 on my Vista without success. Earlier
I'd tried to install 8.3 and that failed too. I tried installing these
on other Vista machines and they failed too. I searched for google and
enterprisedb forums and there are innumerable requests like mine. Same
with Windows 7. It seems enterprisedb has no clue on what the problem is
and how to fix it. There is not even a guide on how to install
postgresql on Vista or Windows 7. Their 'guide' is only for MacOS. The
"one click" feels like a scam. Search for other threads on their forums
or on google. Their support staff want to be helpful but I think they
just lack the necessary expertise in solving such issues.

I was able to install 8.3 from postgresql.org download site and now I
see 8.4 is no longer supported. What are we windows users supposed to
do? Our production servers are linux based but our development
environment is Windows.

I have nothing against enterprisedb but the decision to 'leave out'
windows from postgresql.org download site seems political and will
simply alienate more people from postgresql. We advocate pgsql to all
our customers and help them in installation and training at no cost
because we believe that is some way of giving back. With the new
"1-click" we are not sure any more. I strongly recommend that you start
supporting the win32 binary on postgresql.org site again because that
used to work till 8.3 and enterprisedb is failing for a long time.

Regards,
Nikhil