Re: Parameter name standby_mode

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parameter name standby_mode
Date: 2010-03-31 21:23:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> Is it reasonable to think that we can find a way to make it not print
> the duplicate messages over and over again?
>
> LOG:  record with zero length at 0/3006B28
>
> Maybe only print that if the location has advanced since the last such message?

Yeah, seems reasonable.

> Should we make it shut down if it can't immediately read enough WAL to
> get to a consistent state, or just figure it's the user's job to fix
> it?

I'd say no. In testing, I have done this many times:

pg_start_backup()
copy data directory to server
create recovery.conf
Start standby server.
pg_stop_backup()

The standby doesn't reach consistency before it sees the end-of-backup
record written by pg_stop_backup(), but it does replay up to the last
WAL segment, and connect to the master.

Not sure if that's useful in real life, but there could be situations
where restore_command isn't totally reliable, for example, and it's good
to keep trying.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas