Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID

From: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
To: Ireneusz Pluta <ipluta(at)wp(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID
Date: 2010-03-30 16:30:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

> I am waiting for an ordered machine dedicated to PostgresSQL. It was
> expected to have 3ware 9650SE 16 port controller. However, the vendor
> wants to replace this controller with MegaRAID SAS 84016E, because, as
> they say, they have it on stock, while 3ware would be available in a few
> weeks.
>
> Is this a good replace, generally?
> Will it run on FreeBSD, specifically?

Not sure about that specific controller, but I do have a Fujitsu
rebranded "RAID Ctrl SAS onboard 256MB iTBBU LSI" that works pretty good
on my FreeBSD 6.2 box with the mfi driver.

Getting the megacli tool took some effort as it involves having Linux
emulation running but it's now working fine. I wouldn't dare to use it
for write operations as I remember it freezing the box just after
upgrading to amd64 (it was working good on i386).

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/