Re: dividing money by money

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dividing money by money
Date: 2010-03-30 19:49:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com> wrote:

> With due respect, this sort of thing is rather difficult to get
> right all at once.

The existing type is fixed point and we know how to add and subtract
two of them. I don't think it's all that difficult to add division,
yielding some non-money numeric type (like perhaps float8).

Neither do I see it as a particularly slippery slope. If someone
has a list of other things they want to do for monetary types -- I
don't see that it has anything to do with this particular request,
unless some convincing argument can be made that adding this would
make the other features harder to implement.

Do we have to take a simple request for something useful and blow it
up into something grand and complicated? Well, I mean, *every*
time? ;-) The grander aspects of this thread would make more sense
as a separate thread for a longer-term effort, probably for a new
type (or set of types).

-Kevin